Recently I took part in a fun project for one of my classes that I had actually never done before. The assignment was to create an installation that would be placed somewhere on our campus, whether that be inside or outside that was up to each of us. Always accepting a challenge, I immediately knew that I wanted my project to be placed where traffic was flowing and people would be seeing it constantly. For some reason, knowing that people are looking at my work is very very satisfying.
We worked in pairs to come up with a successful idea that we could create within a few weeks deadline. A proposal for our concept and plan was also to be submitted before even starting the project so that our ideas could be approved. Although this part of the process took a bit longer than expected, we finely had our plan approved and moved on to building.
My partner and I are rather in love with food, so we wanted to do something that included this topic, but also held some sort of meaning and importance. After many failed concepts and sketches, we finally agreed upon the idea of bringing “farm to table” into a realistic art form. We found a small corner in a busy hallway that we knew kids often traveled through that would fit our project perfectly!
We planned to have a garden bed hanging from the ceiling, holding handcrafted rice plants made out of rice paper. As the viewer’s eye catches the green plant, they would gradually flow down to a small table where a couple of bowls filled with uncooked rice would sit. This exemplifies the simpler process of what our food originally starts as.
On the side wall we included a few fun facts and 4 recipes from around the globe that include rice as one of the main ingredients. We printed out multiple recipes so that people walking by could take one as they observed our sculpture.
After all was said and done, I think people really enjoyed our installation, and even learned a bit about rice and how important it is in our world and in different cultures. Though the process was lengthy and stressful at times, the end product turned out almost exactly as expected!